Our Office Bearers
Our Working Plan
Roll Of Honour
Grand Lodge Of Scotland
Where To Find Us
Terms & Conditions
the early days, the meeting place of the Lodge was located in the
nearby village of Newstead. The building, long since demolished,
was the home of the Mein family and appears to have been built in 1613
for there was engraved on a lintel of the house the initials "RM"
followed by that date together with the letter "M" and a
representation of a chisel and a mallet. A Peter de
Mein was involved in the building of Melrose Abbey. It has been
suggested that he was the founder of the Melrose Lodge, but there is no
direct evidence of this. There is evidence, however, that
members of the Mein family were active members of the Lodge over a
long number of years. A tombstone in the family burial ground in the
Abbey bears the inscription " Heir lyis Androv Mein Meayson in Nevsteid.......". He
Died in 1624 aged 63. A Historical Sketch of the Lodge written in
1912 states that the Newstead house was well adapted for Lodge use
"being masonically correct to the compass" A painting of the old
house done by William Heatlie and finished by Tom Scott 1n 1891
following Heatlie's death hangs in the Lodge today.
is now what is left of the original Lodge at the end of St John's Wynd
in Newstead, it is thought to be a part of the wall or corner of the
Lodge. A plaque with the wording "The Original Site - Ludge of
Melros St John" is inlaid into the stonework
Each year in June the Melrose Festival take a tour of places of
interest in and around Melrose, the site of the original Lodge in
Newstead is the first stop where the Festival principals and
followers meet with the Brethren of the Melrose Lodge.
The Worshipful Master assures the Festival principals that
Freemasonry still continues today as it did since the first stonemasons
came to Melrose to build the abbey in 1136.
which was salvaged from the original Lodge at Newstead, was attached
to the outside of the Lodge and is now displayed on the south wall of
the Lodge, it reads "Stones from the
Old Lodge at Newstead and placed here AD 1892. Wm Hart RWM"
the shadows of the Eildon Hills, Melrose Abbey exhibits the finest
remains of the four Border Abbeys. Originally built in 1136 by
King David the 1st for the Cistercian Monks, it is now in the
care of Historic Scotland, where visitors are able to see examples of
lavish decorative work produced by the Masons hundreds of
years ago and to see the place where it is believed that
the heart of Robert the Bruce is buried.